Top 10 Training Tips for your Puppy
- Socialise your puppy to as many different experiences as possible - especially before 6 months of age i.e. dogs, sounds, people including children and the elderly, parks and objects.
- Make sure you always go through doors and gateways before your puppy.
- Encourage eye contact from your puppy as much as possible.
- Always be calm and consistent and lead by example not threat.
- Have your dog complete a task before getting access to a resource such as food or toys.
- Keep the level of praise appropriate to the task being taught. For example: when teaching to stay – calm, when teaching recall – excited.
- When out and about, ensure your puppy is behind or beside you (with a relaxed lead). This shows your puppy who is the leader.
- Have everything happen on your terms – do not allow your puppy to push toys into you or bark for food.
- When starting a game with a puppy, make sure you finish and start the game – this reaffirms that you are the leader.
- Before 16 weeks is vital in terms of learning for a puppy’s development. The next key date is 6 months. Whatever you do in this time sets your puppy up for life.
Urban Dogs has an in house traininer, and we also run Puppy Preschool classes - give the squad a call on 09 4154920 for any advice on your new puppy!